Both men and women can suffer from sexual dysfunction or sexual problems. In common person’s parlance, it is a problem that prevents you from experiencing sexual satisfaction. If you are experiencing sexual dysfunction in any part of the sexual response cycle, you are not alone. This traditionally includes excitement, plateau, orgasm, and resolution. Research suggests that 43% of women and 31% of men report some degree of sexual dysfunction or difficulty.
It also remains a topic that many people are hesitant to discuss and resolve worldwide. Read on to know more about sexual dysfunction. This is so that you can understand it and seek treatment for it. Moreover, this is because treatment options are available and extremely helpful.
Types of sexual dysfunction
Sexual dysfunction is classified into four categories:
- Desire disorders: This is a generalized lack of sexual desire or interest in sex
- Arousal disorders: Inability to become physically aroused during sexual activity
- Orgasm disorders: A delay or absence of orgasm
- Pain disorders: Pain during intercourse
Symptoms of sexual dysfunction
- Erectile dysfunction – An inability to achieve or maintain an erection for penetrative sexual intercourse
- Retarded ejaculation – An absent or delayed ejaculation despite sexual stimulation
- Early or premature ejaculation – Inability to control ejaculation
- Inadequate vaginal lubrication before or during sex
- Inability to relax the vaginal muscles for sexual intercourse to happen
- Lack of interest in or desire for sex. An inability to become aroused or pain during intercourse is also classified as sexual dysfunction.
Causes of sexual dysfunction
- Physical causes – Several medical conditions can cause problems with sexual function. They include diabetes, heart and neurological problems, hormonal imbalances, kidney or liver failure, and the use of habit-forming substances. Antidepressant use can also affect sexual function.
- Psychological causes. – Stress and anxiety, sexual performance anxiety, relationship problems, depression. These are some of the psychological causes responsible for sexual disorders. In addition, feelings of not being good enough and the effects of a past sexual trauma also come into play.
Diagnosis of sexual dysfunction
Subsequently, the doctor will begin with history. This includes talking about symptoms, followed by a physical exam to rule out medical problems.
However, a major part of diagnosis is psychological. Therefore, the doctor will evaluate your attitude about sex, as well as other contributing factors. Hence, these may include fear, anxiety, past sexual abuse, relationship problems, medications, habit-forming substances, etc. In conclusion, this is to understand the underlying cause of the problem.
In fact, psychiatrists and sexologists can treat most types of sexual dysfunction by addressing the underlying physical or psychological problems. In addition, other common ways to treat sexual dysfunction are:
- By changing a medication that may be causing sexual dysfunction. If you have a sexual dysfunction due to hormone deficiencies, you may benefit from hormone shots, pills, or creams. Men can use Viagra or Cialis for erectile dysfunction by increasing blood flow to the penis.
- Mechanical aids – Penile implants or vacuum devices can be used in men to maintain an erection. Vacuum devices are used in women too. In addition, there are dilators to help women who have an extremely narrow vaginal opening.
- Sex therapy – Marriage counselors and therapists help couples resolve their relationship issues that may be causing sexual dysfunction.
- Behavioral therapy helps you seek insight into your behavior, causing sexual dysfunction, and addressing it.
- Psychotherapy. This type of therapy can help you resolve prior sexual trauma—feelings of inadequacy, anxiety, fear, or guilt, and poor body image.
In conclusion, kindly click to read more here if you have questions and are suffering from any of the above. We also have a blog post in Kannada(ಲೈಂಗಿಕ ತೊಂದರೆ). Click here to read that article. Also, feel free to contact the expert to have your problem/s solved.